Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 22, 2017

When Your Future's so Bright . . .


Denver and Spencer enjoying the wonder.
I barely remember the eclipse of my youth.  That is not a metaphor. I remember the science teacher poking a hole in a shoe box and we students looking through a hole showing a white pinpoint of light that eventually became a crescent.  I don't remember feeling excited about it.  All I remember is the welcome break in our usual school routine.  I don't remember my parents mentioning it at all.

This time was different.  My husband ordered special glasses for us.  The boys read a N.Y. Times report on the eclipse. We watched a program about historical fears and superstitions surrounding eclipses.  Spencer and I discussed the fall of Constantinople after an eclipse which frightened the Constantine people.  


Crescent shadows during the eclipse.
Yesterday was the big event-- a 97% eclipse.  John Robert left for school at 4am to ride a bus to Clemson University and view the eclipse in its totality.  Scientists and professors spoke to the students.  The entire student body of the university seemed to be out on the quad.  He said it was amazing.  

John, Spencer, Denver, and I took a more laid back approach.  We loaded up the van with food and a cooler, and went to the pool.  John grilled burgers, we watched the eclipse through our special glasses, we drank cold drinks, and "Oohed" and "Aaahhed" all afternoon.  Cooler temperatures.  A wild change in lighting.  Crickets chirped.  Dogs barked.  There were strange shadows.  It was simple and wonderful.

My children constantly remind me that the world is an amazing place and learning is ever reaching.  My teacher's attempt years ago to help us experience the eclipse was the best he could do at that time with 30 students, one shoe box, no internet, and limited time to share.  I'm so glad John and I could give more and share more.  


Einstein and Shakespeare enjoying new eclipse glasses.
The biggest and best thing I have learned from homeschooling is the simplest: we learn best and most when we are allowed to follow our wonder.  

Who knows what we learned and what need is there to test us?  The world is the subject and every moment a possible opportunity to see something we've never before seen.


No comments:

Post a Comment