Search This Blog

Friday, May 24, 2013

The Great Day that Almost Wasn't


I woke up early and went to the gym.  I was home and had coffee before anyone stirred.  It seemed like a lot of work to get the boys up, dressed, fed, and in the car to the Atlanta Botanical Garden's Homeschool Day.  After all, the idea had been mine and not the boys.  Maybe they would like to sleep in and then go to the library or the newly opened pool.  Just yesterday I had cancelled our plan to ride with friends to the Botanical Garden because I thought we couldn't go.  Now that we could go, maybe we would just stay home instead.   

When Spencer came downstairs, I mentioned the planned trip for today and asked (rather hopefully) if he'd rather stay home.

"Oh, I'm looking forward to it," he smiled.  "I can't wait to see how they make those giant plant sculptures!"  Oh, I thought.  Okay.

An hour and a half later, we arrived at the Botanical Gardens.  There was some fussing in the car.  The boys argued a bit.  I made threats.  If I had Dorothy's magic slippers, I might have clicked my heels and been back home.  I'm sure glad I didn't.  

The boys loved the Botanical Garden!  Much to my surprise, they "Ooohed" and "Aaahhed" over the enormous plant sculptures.  John Robert loved the patterns on the cobras, and declared them as beautiful from the back as from the front.  They appreciated the use of different plants for different textures-- like the unicorn's mane and tail; and they laughed at the playful way the exhibits were designed-- you could run through the giant ogre's head.  John Robert explored a bit by himself and enjoyed navigating with the map and being in charge of our tour.

As I tagged along behind them, I listened to their chatter and watched the way they circle around one another as they talk.  I couldn't help noticing how much older the boys are.  They run ahead without me and only look back much later.  No one cries or has to be carried.  Yet they are still my boys and they still love to share things with me.  Spencer touched the base of an enormous hanging pitcher plant.  "I always wanted to do that," he said.  Denver wanted me to look at the rainforest frogs with him.  John Robert borrowed the camera to take numerous pictures of the tropical plants.  There were enormous leaves-- as large as a Queen size bed; tree frogs everywhere, turtles, geckos; even a pair of Quail and their offspring were waiting to be found by watchful eyes.

We explored every nook and cranny of the Garden.  To my surprise and delight, the boys genuinely enjoyed looking and touching and comparing the plants.  Spencer even did most of the homeschool worksheet a volunteer gave him.

I never know what is going to pique their interest and what will be left behind.  They will most likely never become botanists.  Yet the day was a delight.  They stopped and paused by nearly every fountain or pool of water, and at least one of them would say, "Isn't it peaceful?"  or "It's so calming."  As we left the Garden, they said again and again . . . "That was fun.  This was fun."

Who could ask for a better start to the summer?


This 15 foot high dog was adorable!









Who doesn't believe in unicorns?


No comments:

Post a Comment