Search This Blog

Friday, November 7, 2014

Teaching and Learning

Denver shows me a baby pinecone.
If, as part of our science curriculum, I told Denver to pay attention to the little pine branch with the baby pinecones, he most likely would have resented the instruction and asked how much longer until homeschool is over!

It's a whole different experience when he races inside, ruddy cheeked, and exclaims, "Look at this!  Audrey and I found a baby pinecone!  Not this big one, but these two little bitty ones right here."  

We "Oohed" and "Aahed" and took pictures.  I am endlessly gratified by how much my boys learn without being taught.  It seems to me-- and to many homeschooling parents-- that learning is as natural as breathing when the question of the day is "What do you want to learn?" instead of "What am I going to teach?"






1 comment:

  1. I'm giving you and your kids a standing ovation! Your post is an example of what homeschooling should be about! We have a core curriculum (Time4Learning High School) but my daughter learns so much more than is presented in her official curriculum. It is almost as if the core curriculum is a primer to all her other learning. Every day she learns something new, not just in school but because she is hungry for knowledge and does her own research. I'm constantly amazed at the stuff she learned on her own. Some people ask, " How do you know your kid is learning?" I always answer, "Because I see it happen, every day, and it is amazing!" Thanks for confirming what I already find to be true, and happy homeschooling!

    ReplyDelete