Search This Blog

Monday, April 22, 2013

Little Daniel Boone


Since before he was born, Spencer loved the outdoors.  While pregnant with him, I dreamed vividly and often of woods and pastures filled with animals.  I felt that his nursury should be woodland green and filled with bunnies and deer.  I didn't feel this way about our other boys.  I don't know what caused it.  As a small child, Spencer used to beg me to take him into the woods to "live off the land."  Occasionally, we slept in the treehouse and in a tent in the yard. One of his greatest joys is to camp with Nana and Papa Dale in the summertime.  We've read Little House in the Big Woods, Hatchet, and My Side of the Mountain more than once. 

Little wonder, then, that Spencer loves hunting with his Papa Dale.  The surprise is how good he is at it!  The first time he went deer hunting, he shot a small buck.  With help and guidance from his grandfather, he proceeded to skin it, cut it up, and later cooked the tenderloin for the family.  The second time he went turkey hunting, he and his Papa Dale called up two huge gobblers.  With careful aim, he took his turkey with one shot.  Is this guy Daniel Boone, or what?


Spencer completely camouflaged
to the left of the spring.

When a child has a passion, it is a parent's greatest wish to help him fulfill it.  That is why I am so grateful for my father's knowledge of the outdoors and his patient willingness to share his skills with Spencer.  These are priceless gifts of experience; but I could do without the turkey beard necklace.
   









No comments:

Post a Comment