Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Normal Surprises


There are no normal days in this family.  Every day is a surprise.  Every hour brings some unexpected event.  It's a good thing I'm a yoga teacher.  Most of the time I can stay flexible. 

What happens if you're late for breakfast!

As much as I work and plan for our homeschooling, I find that my children constantly surprise me.  I sometimes fear that money is wasted on books and materials that lie untouched, only to realize they've been used and learned while my head was turned.  For instance, two years ago I bought John Robert a book about math called Go Figure.  It was full of facts, history, and math brainteasers.  I thought he would love it.  Sadly, I never saw him pick it up. 





Then yesterday while he was doing his algebra, John Robert asked,"Where is that really good book about math?  This math problem is talking about pi, and I want to read more about it in that book."  I had no idea which book he was talking about until he pulled it off the shelf.  "Here it is!  This is an awesome book."  He proceeded to spend the next 45 minutes rereading and occasionally sharing bits of information with whomever would listen.


Sometimes surprises are less pleasant.  I cannot keep the boys in clothes and shoes.  John Robert has only two pair of pants that cover his ankles.  Spencer lost his one really good coat.  Then today as we were leaving Wal-Mart, I looked down and noticed Denver had what appeared to be a leaf stuck to his toe.  When I asked him about it, he said, "That's not a leaf.  It's part of my shoe!"  When I looked closer, I realized the entire toe of his shoe was open, and the sole of his shoe was shredded and falling out.  Needless to say, we turned around and went back to the shoe department! 

I cannot predict what is going to happen this evening, much less what the week will hold.  Denver now refuses to wear underwear, while he insists on wearing his chef hat while baking.  Just another normal surprise in the Degonia family.   

Blueberry muffins



No comments:

Post a Comment