Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

The Joy of Little Boys



The Three Musketeers spent all day either drawing
imaginary characters or pretending to be them.

Adventure, excitement, shouting, and explosive noises-- this is the land in which I live.  As a woman who loves yoga and silence (I don't even listen to music when I run!), it is fascinating to me how much my boys love VOLUME.  You'll find very few coloring books or craft projects in our house.  The mystery of little boys is in their fascination with ACTION. 
 






For Denver, Spencer, and their friends, all of the action is acted out.  They fly around the house like crazed cats.  They shoot nerf guns in the upstairs hallway.  They dress as superheroes and run around the yard.  Periodically, they stop and draw pictures of the characters they are pretending to be.  They chatter constantly to each other: "My character looks like this and he has this power."


Our newest little reader.
 
If 20 years ago I had looked into the future and seen my life, I wouldn't have recognized myself.  Yet it is the most lovely life I can imagine.  As I pick up nerf darts and clean blueberry syrup stains from the tablecloth, I think of all I am learning: reasons for laughter, patience, love, acceptance . . . did I say patience? 
Denver wears a bicycling helmet for really adventurous stories!


No comments:

Post a Comment