Search This Blog

Saturday, October 26, 2013

Lucky 13


John Robert Degonia is thirteen today. He swam 4 1/2 miles before lunch, and then ate three lunches before mid-afternoon. It was his birthday, but he didn't ask to take a day off swim practice. He went straight from swim practice to a Saturday movie matinee with his daddy, Paw Paw, and brother, Spencer. When he got home, it was early evening, and he hadn't even opened his gifts. We sang Happy Birthday and then he politely opened his new Kindle and new book before going upstairs to read.

Polite and gentle to everyone, John Robert is growing into a fine young man. He is smart and capable. He has friends and a variety of interests. He loves his brothers and is kind and generous with them nearly always. He rarely loses his temper, and is usually calm and thoughtful. I adore him, and I feel so lucky to know him. He helps make me a better parent.

Thirteen years ago, he was this new little person I struggled to understand and care for. I still study him-- he is changing so much! And I still search for the best ways to meet his needs. I used to sing to him, rock him, and cuddle him. He doesn't want much of that anymore. He wants me to take him to play paintball and not hug him in public. Times have changed. But he is still my Little Jobert. It's just that he is six feet tall and his feet are HUGE.


No comments:

Post a Comment