Search This Blog

Thursday, October 3, 2013

When do we grow up?


Denver taught me how to take pictures
using the heat sensor feature on the ipad.

My poor mom . . . I remember her sighing deeply and saying, "Kim, when will you ever grow up?"

As a child, I thought of "growing up" as a sort of finish line. When you crossed it, you'd be complete . . . like a car rolling off the assembly line. Right?

I don't know. I'm 45 years old, but I don't yet feel grown up. It seems every day I make a new discovery or find some new idea to consider. I have three jobs, three children, a mortgage, a husband, an unruly dog, and lots of responsibilities, but I don't feel that I've crossed any sort of finish line yet. Okay, I've run a few races with finish lines. The weird thing about finish lines is that after you cross one, you start to think, "Okay, what's next?"

As I watch my children growing and changing, I see them becoming different people than they used to be. Talents bloom, interests rise and fall, their bodies change. Their needs change. This keeps me on my toes, always watching to see how best to respond.

I'm definitely not done learning. There is so much to know! I may be middle aged; but Mom, I'm not yet grown up!

No comments:

Post a Comment