Search This Blog

Thursday, February 13, 2014

The Big Storm

Our backporch loaded with firewood. The woodstove ablaze. Candles. Flashlights. Blankets. Plenty of food and water. News forecasts predicting days of ice, sleet, snow, and sub-freezing temperatures.

Now it's all melting, and I wish I had relaxed and enjoyed it more. Isn't that often the way it is?

The boys had no such problems. I smiled as they slid downhill on the laundry basket and "made music" by knocking the icicles off the pasture fence. Denver was amazed by the sound of sleet falling in the woods. We ate freshly baked bread, chocolate chip cookies, and hot baked potatoes. We took walks in the sleet and snow. There were deer tracks, squirrel tracks, birds, and rabbits. We cuddled together on blankets by the wood stove.

This morning, I took a run with Lady as the snow began to melt and the blue sky peeked through the grey clouds. The boys enjoyed snowball fights and riding down the driveway in the laundry basket one more time. I guess we've made it through the "big storm." Now I can look back at the last two days, smile, and sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment