Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Because I Want To

It is unpopular to admit that one is happy.  Have you noticed?  There is currently only one popular song about happiness, and it is already being heavily parodied.  My favorite line of the original song is, "Happiness is the Truth."  I love that line.  It's the same thing my yoga teacher always told me.  "Beneath all your thoughts, worries, and experiences, You are Peace and Joy."  I believe that.  I experience it.  But I don't tell very many people because they would think I was either bragging or lying.

The boys, friend, and hubby at the old Georgia capitol
in Milledgeville-- the place where state representatives
voted to secede from the Union.
A woman I know expressed fascination with what she called my "continual giving and sacrifice" for my children.  I laughed and suggested that if that is what she sees, then she is not ready to have children.  I tried to smile and be compassionate with her.  The truth is, I get annoyed when people speak of me or any other dedicated, homeschooling mom as some sort of martyr.  Nothing could be further from the truth.  I do what I do because I want to.  

I am incredibly lucky to have three bright, healthy, handsome young sons.  I am just as lucky to be able to know them much better than most parents know their children.  As homeschoolers, we are together a lot. We talk, share, and simply spend time living with one another in ways that most families can't.  As a result, we had to cease pretense.  I know their weaknesses and they know mine; and we love each other anyway!  Everything I do for them I do for myself, too; because I want them to have a fun day, a clean home, tasty food, learn all the things they want and need to learn; and I want them to have a happy childhood.
Spencer and Hernando Desoto.

Denver created his own catapult!
It wouldn't occur to me that I should complain in a serious way-- about the cost of shoes, the number of times I drive to swim practice, all the homeschool lessons and field trips, or anything else related to my choice to become a mother.  My parents never complained about such things.  I thought they took care of me because they loved me and everything they did for me from cradle to college and beyond was all just an expression of their love.  It was all because they wanted to.  I want my boys to feel that love, too.
Denver and I enjoy
a morning snuggle
on the porch.
Lady poses in front of an azalea bush.


       

No comments:

Post a Comment