Search This Blog

Friday, October 24, 2014

Magic Eight

My baby is eight.  He wanted a video game-- Plants vs. Zombies, nerf guns, and a chocolate cake to celebrate.  Gone are the days of little Joker cars and Batman action figures.

Denver spent a blissful day enjoying everyone's indulgent attitude toward him.  No homeschool.  Shopping with Nana and Mimi's birthday money.  Hours on the computer with no one telling him, "My Turn!"
Birthday Breakfast with his brothers

"Birthdays are better than Christmas," he announced that afternoon.

"Why is that, Pal?," I asked from the kitchen.  

John, Paw Paw, Mimi, and the
Birthday Boy
"You get gifts and everyone is really nice to you and you don't have to do anything you don't want to do."

"Like share?"

Denver smiled sheepishly.  "Yes."  He bent his head over his video game again.

Denver and Spencer
played Nerf guns all afternoon.
Denver stayed up until nearly midnight to enjoy as much as possible of his birthday.  The next morning, I was cleaning scattered chocolate cake crumbs off the floor and the counter when he walked in, sleepy faced.

"That was really good cake," he said.

I turned to look at him, traces of chocolate icing still on his face.  Still a little boy for a while longer.

"I'm glad, Pal."

"I think I forgot to brush my teeth, though."

"Hmm....  Maybe so."  I smiled.  Denver tottered off to the bathroom.  Magic Eight.

No comments:

Post a Comment