Search This Blog

Sunday, August 16, 2015

Learning Like a Hummingbird-- and Just as Quickly!

Several semi-famous homeschool advocates suggest waiting until a child is at least eight years old before beginning academics in earnest.  The way we push academics on children in this country at younger and younger ages, such a statement seems disasterous. 

When I first read the delayed academics advice, I thought it was evidence of foolishness.  But now I wonder.

Denver is eight (nearly nine). Until this school year, he complained loudly about all academic work, wiggled his body like a puppy trying to slip his collar, and begged for recess constantly.

But this year, there is a change.  He wants to know everything.  His reading skills are exploding.  He doesn't complain about writing assignments or math or anything else. He just asks questions.  And more questions.  

Unlike his brothers, Denver doesn't go deep and long into any one subject, but prefers to work like a hummingbird-- sipping from one topic and then another-- circling and getting more knowledge every time he visits. 

Yesterday, while waiting for Spencer during his computer coding class, Denver and I walked into a pet store.  While looking at the various chew bones, Denver suddenly announced, "I would really like to get a skeleton and put it together myself.  I've been thinking about bones."  

It just so happened there was a toy store two doors down.  We went there, and up on a shelf was a build your own skeleton project. When I showed it to him, he said "That's exactly what I'm looking for."  So I forked over fifteen dollars.

We walked back to Spencer's computer coding classroom.  We sat on the carpet; and for the next hour, we assembled Jr. Bones.  It was great!  We talked-- in whispers-- about the way the bones look, the way they work, and how they function.

When we arrived home that afternoon, Denver insisted on looking at all the anatomy books we had in the house and creating a shelf just for that subject.  He created a display with Jr. Bones and two books.

I couldn't have created a better lesson plan or activity if I had planned it for a week.  Well done, Denver.  I think you'll do just fine.

Jr. Bones and two body parts books.
Denver asked me questions about
  every page of both books last night.





No comments:

Post a Comment