Search This Blog

Saturday, March 23, 2013

Singing in the Rain

Normal people sleep late when they can.  Normal people get up and drink a cup of coffee while sitting in a comfortable chair on a lazy Saturday morning.  Why not me?

At 5am, 5:30, 6:00, 6:30, and 7am, I looked at my watch, and looked out the window.  The forecast was for cloudy skies, 40 degrees, and rain after 9am.  Torn between going for a run and lying under warm covers, I weighed my options. 

If I wanted to go for a run outside our subdivision, this would be my only chance.  John is scheduled to leave on a flight to Las Vegas today, and he isn't scheduled to be back until Tuesday.  Without John to watch the boys, my exercise is limited to what I can do in the house and what I can do in our subdivision.  If I wanted to try out that new trail, this would be my only chance until his return.

I dragged myself from my cocoon, stretched my legs, and put on my running clothes.  I grabbed juice, a snack, car keys, and my cell phone.  Lady, as always, was by my side and ready to go.  As we stepped out the door, I noticed the porch was darker than usual.  Rain.  Already.  I went back and grabbed my rain jacket.  Maybe I wouldn't need it.  It wasn't supposed to be raining for another two hours.  I guess the clouds hadn't checked the weather channel.

As I pulled into the parking lot, I felt like a goofus.  What kind of idiot goes running in a cold, hard rain?  What was I trying to prove?  Lady seemed to have similar questions as she looked out the car window.  Maybe I should just turn around.  Maybe go get donuts.  But then I saw two runners flying by in their rain gear.  If they can do it, why not me?  That's the funny thing about doing crazy things: when one person does it, it's crazy; when more people do it, it becomes a movement.  And that's what I needed-- movement.


My faithful girl who never, ever complains
about where we run or when.
Lady and I ran five miles in the rain before breakfast.  It was cold.  My legs were stiff, and they never really warmed up.  The rain overcame all of my layers-- a jacket and two shirts, drenched my hat, and even soaked through my running bra.  But the only runners I had seen were long gone, and Lady and I had the trail to ourselves.

It was beautiful.   The rain glistened on the wooden bridges.  Except during the hardest downpours, birds kept singing.  The rain made a little river down the trail, and we ran until our feet were soaked.  It was a perfect start to the day.


As mom and wife and judge and teacher-- there is very little of my day that isn't centered around someone else's needs.  Running-- and a hot bath afterward-- has become my time.  It is nearly non-negotiable.  I think Lady understands that.  And she's with me all the way.  Well, except for the bath.  She's not into that!       

No comments:

Post a Comment