Search This Blog

Friday, March 29, 2013

Survival Skills and Sunny Skies

Today the boys enjoyed a beautiful, blue sky day with temperatures climbing into the 60s.  Even better, it was Charlie Elliott Homeschool Day, and the topic was Survival Skills. 

From morning to mid-afternoon, the boys and other children hiked, identified edible plants, tasted dandelion tea, fished in the pond, built wilderness shelters, made fire starters, and learned how to make a fire.  They played games and ate lunch outside in the fresh air.  It was delightful.  

While the boys were having their day in the sun, I enjoyed my day, too!  Another mom and I took a walk, and then I began a wonderful long run with my faithful dog.  Every thirty minutes or so, Lady and I ran by the boys on the hiking trail as we put in our miles.  Lady has learned to be at ease with people when we're away from home, and she allowed everyone to pet her-- finally living up to her name!

Each time we passed the children, they were involved in a new endeavor.  Each time we passed, I could have told them about the deer Lady and I just saw or the turkey, the armadillo, the squirrels, the ducks, or the geese.  It seems every creature enjoyed the warming air and blue skies today.  

Wilderness shelter

After our Charlie Elliott adventure, I came home and collapsed into the bathtub.  It was nice to be done thinking about survival skills, and just relax in the comfort of home.  John Robert folded laundry and read a book.  Spencer and Denver, however, still had energy to burn!  After a brief snack of cheese and apples, the boys joined their dad in outside chores where they shoveled dirt for over two hours!  Spencer then left for Mimi's house to catch up on his Spanish while Denver continued to work outside for another hour (though he insisted that I sit outside and watch him work!).

The boys topped off the day with a mixture of chinese food and Subway sandwiches that John volunteered to bring home.  A strange feast, but they loved it.  Another nice end to a beautiful day.  I saw a butterfly today, too!  We're so glad spring has sprung!   
  

No comments:

Post a Comment