Search This Blog

Thursday, August 1, 2013

A Thousand Things in a Day



There are a thousand things in a day. A thousand things that touch the heart or raise questions in the mind. If I don't record them, they are soon forgotten in the rush and roar of the passing hours, days, and weeks. Yesterday was such a day.

We met three of the boys' friends at the library to see a summer children's program-- The Reptile Wrangler. So many of the library programs are centered around books and puppets that it was a delight to see real animals (not all reptiles): a four foot alligator, tarantula, bearded dragon, leopard gecko, ball python, boa constrictor, and roccoco frog. Other than being saddened by the fear shown by at least half of the children and frustrated by their inability to remain quiet, it was a wonderful learning opportunity.

Spencer got to ask scientific questions about every creature. At the end of the show, both Denver and Spencer wanted to pet Rosy the ten foot boa constrictor-- while John Robert and his buddies went out another door (too cool for such displays of curiosity?). Spencer also spoke briefly with the young man holding the snake. He told the man he wanted to be a herpetologist (reptile scientist). The man told Spencer and me that he worked at Zoo Atlanta for two years. "Aha!" I thought. An idea for Spencer!

A reporter asked me about the show. I didn't like having a camera shoved in my face, and I directed the reporter to Spencer. Spencer was happy to talk! I was so proud of him!

After the library, we all piled into the car and went to McDonald's. It amused me to see that John Robert took his buddies to a separate table; while Spencer, Shaw, and Denver sat with (but ignored) me. The boys need me but don't need me anymore. I am their loyal servant when their friends are around; and I don't mind at all. I enjoy being in the background and having a chance to observe and listen to the interests and activities of six boys.

After McDonald's came swimming at the pool. Despite the cloudy weather and gentle rain, the boys spent over an hour and a half swimming and romping and by all appearances trying to drown one another! Denver became frustrated and cried a lot. Had I realized how tired he was, I could have handled this better. It does no good at all to threaten a tired, angry child. Denver was feeling left out; but the more he cried, the less anyone wanted to play with him. Poor buddy.

From there, we went back home and I served fresh fruit and ice cream cake. Everyone-- including Denver-- was happy and satisfied. The boys amused themselves with video games and Legos for the next two hours until their parents arrived.

Although having children come over is fun, I like it best when they leave. I take a deep breath, tidy the house, and rest. Today, I began previewing a Physics dvd I plan to show next week. John Robert watched some of it with me. Denver fell asleep in my lap and slept for two hours. Spencer enjoyed having the computer to himself and some quiet time before Paw Paw took him to karate.

The day ended with all of us on a big blanket in the living room. I read aloud several chapters from a wonderful children's biography on Marco Polo. The boys lay down close by and we enjoyed thinking about Polo's adventures. After this, I went to sleep while they played a little bit longer and then put themselves to bed. They are old enough to do this now! What a precious day; and yet so like many others. I am so incredibly blessed that I almost cannot believe it.



No comments:

Post a Comment