Search This Blog

Monday, August 5, 2013

Our First Day of School

The Boys began their study of physics today.

  
The first day of school. No bus to catch. No lunch money needed. I was a little concerned about the boys' teacher, but she had been doing a lot of planning. I concluded that she was as ready as she would ever be!

Spencer chops potatoes to use in a physics experiment.
As I drank my coffee this morning, I was still a little nervous. It's not easy to guide three boys through their school work. Sometimes it's a lot like herding cats through a maze. We are studying physics this year-- a subject my husband is better suited to teaching (but he isn't always available). I was especially concerned about Denver. He told me two day ago that he "was NOT going to do homeschool this year."  

Nevertheless, by mid-morning everyone was dressed, fed, had teeth brushed, and we were all ready for school. For the most part, it went really well! To my surprise, Denver leaped right in-- doing his math with delight, reading to me happily, writing (with some small protest), and reviewing his Latin. He was very interested in physics. How could it be that a heavy object does not fall faster than a lighter object? Why does a potato dropped from a given height sink more deeply into a skewer if you hold it higher?

John Robert was equally-- if not more-- enthusiastic. He did more than I asked him to do; and after our physics class, he asked if he could bring his physics book to his tutor tomorrow to ask questions. After he had completed all his work, he challenged me to a game of chess-- and almost won! It was wonderful to have the boys off the computer and back into life together. They can each be so delightful!


Spencer explores a mass and gravity experiment:
also called dropping a potato on a spear.
 To my relief and delight, John Robert also offered to assist Spencer with his math review; and he did a wonderful job. 
Denver enjoys a little work on the computer.

John Robert and I enjoy a friendly game of chess.

Under John Robert's guidance, Spencer laughed and played as he did his work. John Robert took me aside and explained to me: "When Spencer gets frustrated, you have to make him laugh to help him relax. That's the only way he can start to be able to think clearly again."


And after Spencer completed his problems, John Robert took me aside again: "Okay, Spencer KNOWS how to do all of those problems. It's just that he gets frustrated with the multiple steps. I don't think further review would be helpful. I think he's ready to move forward." Although I'm not sure I agree with his assessment, it was delightful to see John Robert finding a new role 
for himself-- and it was a very helpful role for Spencer!

It's been a long day. I was right to be anxious. At 5pm, Spencer still isn't done with his work, though the other boys are long since finished, and would love to go swimming if only Spencer were ready. I am tired from the constant switching gears-- math question from John Robert, Latin question from Spencer, grammar question from Denver, delivering individualized instruction to each child for a good portion of the day . . . I find myself hoping that John will arrive home in time for me to take a run!


Spencer and Denver do lawn
maintenance instead of recess.

To my delight, Spencer and Denver opted to do yard work instead of recess today. Okay, so I paid each of them a dollar! They pulled weeds and raked brush clippings, piled them in a wheel barrow, and dumped them in the burn pile. Hurray for my hard working boys!

It's been a good first day of school. Spencer will leave in an hour for karate. The other boys and I will head to the pool for a little fun. There is no evening homework, and I have a pretty good idea what the boys have learned today-- another wonderful reason to love homeschooling!



No comments:

Post a Comment