Search This Blog

Friday, December 19, 2014

The Excellent Teachers at Montessori Middle School-- No, not Me.

Many years ago, my yoga teacher told me that everyone I meet will be my teacher.  Not a new idea, but one I often forget.





Some of my most powerful teachers work for free at the Montessori School of Covington.

If you asked, they would say I am their writing teacher.  Not true. They teach me.

This fall, the students decided to create a student newsletter to share with other classes.  This was something they volunteered to do for fun in addition to their graded work.  They chose different projects-- writing poems, creating a Dear Abby type column, mystery stories, an environmental information corner, recipe ideas for kids, and a fun fake advertisement section.  Out of all of our writing workshop activities, the newsletter is the only one that everyone has managed to turn in their work on time-- or close to it.

The newsletter took shape with nothing required by me except deadlines and a willingness to find a printer with color ink.  One boy offered to be the editor, and has spent hours scanning in articles and photos, writing his own work, arranging everyone's work, and creating a beautiful product that the kids do not want to sell.  They want to give it away.  So we do.

What a great lesson.


No comments:

Post a Comment