Search This Blog

Thursday, July 9, 2015

LOL-- Lots of Lincoln

The boys at the Lincoln Museum in Springfield, Illinois.
Notice John Wilkes Booth lurking in the background!



























My husband sees a lot of wonderful places in his work as a pilot-- Telluride, Colorado; lonely paradises in the Bahamas; beaches and mountains all over the continent.

Where does he want to take the boys and me to visit on our summer vacation?
My guys at the Illinois State Capital

Springfield, Illinois.  The land of Lincoln.  Home of the Lincoln Museum.  It turned out to be a wonderful trip.  Denver even made the local news!
Denver was interviewed and made the news
regarding Fourth of July events near the state capital.

We were lucky enough to meet
President Lincoln outside a restaurant.
I was skeptical.  First of all, although I love history, I'm a little worn out from being a homeschool momma for the past four years.  I was hoping for a vacation involving big, frozen drinks with tiny umbrellas.  
Spencer confronts Booth.




The Lincoln museum is dedicated to helping us all understand the life of Abraham Lincoln.  They do it beautifully, and even had the help of Disney in creating exhibits.  The actors were fantastic.  We saw Lincoln's actual home, his law office, and the renovated street where he lived.  The period actors and knowledgable volunteers helped the whole experience come to life.  

Where else can you go and see a Union soldier
eating at Subway?

My boys with the Lincoln family.


The shows were amazing-- with ghosts telling stories, 3D presentations, and castings of Lincoln's hands and face for us to touch.  The photos and visual presentations of the Civil War were overwhelming.  I can't believe I'm saying this . . . but I'm incredibly glad we went.  

Now that our vacation is over, I'll fix my own pina colada and drink it by our pool . . . while I read my new biography of Abraham Lincoln.






No comments:

Post a Comment