Search This Blog

Saturday, September 14, 2013

Chillax


The Degonias off the coast of Tybee Island on a Dolphin Adventure!

Chill. Relax. Chillax. This week the whole family went on a four-day vacation which felt so marvelous and refreshing that it seems like years since last week.
With our SUV stuffed to overflowing, the five of us lit out for Savannah. On our way, we stopped in Dublin (Georgia, not Ireland!) to visit our good friend, Mickey Baker, who flies rescue helicopters for a living. The boys enjoyed learning about how he carries patients and medical crew aboard the helicopter; and Denver loved having his picture taken in the pilot's seat!




Denver enjoys flying Mr. Mickey's rescue helicopter.


As soon as we got to Savannah, our first stop was the Aquarium and UGA research facility on Skidaway Island. It was great! Not only did we take a hike along the marsh and see lots of crabs, oyster beds, egrets, and spanish moss; we were also invited by the aquarium manager-- a friendly and enthusiastic biologist-- to watch the feeding of the octopus, seahorses, and needlefish. We saw turtles, bonnethead sharks, rays, alligators, and other local creatures swimming in their tanks. And because we were there right at closing time, we had the place to ourselves.


After checking into our hotel, we adventured out to Savannah's historic district to enjoy a warm praline and a walk along River Street. The best part was eating seafood at the Pirates' House. AARGH!


Denver identifies a square backed crab.



On Wednesday morning, we visited Fort Pulaski, which was the site of one of the first Union victories during the Civil War. It was taken by the Union in 1862. The boys had visited the fort last year with Mimi and Paw Paw, but they enjoyed seeing it again and learning some historical facts from their daddy.





Don't worry, Nana; it's not a copperhead!
Denver holds a corn snake.
    
On Wednesday afternoon, we arrived on Tybee Island, and checked into the Burton 4-H camp, where we stayed until Friday morning. Our time there is a blur of pleasure:
swimming in the ocean,
walks on the beach,
discovering a bioluminescent jellyfish on a night time beach excursion,
trudging through the marsh with rubber boots to see thousands of skittering crabs and periwinkle snails.

 



John Robert proudly displays the fish
found within his squid during dissection.
 
The boys delighted in learning to use a net to catch ocean life. They got to see and/or touch sealife and animals at close range: three kinds of turtles, a gopher tortoise, three kinds of crabs, sea anemone, snakes, and an alligator. The piece de resistance was dissecting a squid. To his surprise and delight, John found a fish in his squid's stomach and was the hit of the class!

Getting ready for our Dolphin Adventure!

John Robert poses under the pier
at Tybee Island.
 
On our last day, we went on a dolphin tour. Did you know that a mother dolphin is pregnant for 12 months? Did you also know that after a baby dolphin is born, it has to be lifted by its mother to the surface each time it needs to breathe? Can you imagine? It is wonderful that a new dolphin mommy is usually assisted by another female dolphin-- called an auntie-- who helps to care for the baby. Isn't that amazing?

As we drove home on Friday evening and as I did seven loads of laundry, unpacked bags, tidied the house (a little), and relaxed with a new book on the back porch this afternoon (because the weather is suddenly cool and marvelous), I cannot help but think thoughts of gratitude.

The people we met were wonderful. The children were sweet, polite, and curious. They were funny and friendly. The boys had no trouble fitting in.

 

One of my favorite moments: After our Crabs and Critters class, Denver did not want to walk with me back to the dorm. He wanted to stay and play with the other children. I asked, "Are you ready to walk back to the dorm?"
He gently smiled and pushed me away. "You go," he said softly. "I'm staying here."

I was delighted that he felt so safe and happy with people he'd known only 24 hours. For the next half hour, he and the other kids played store with their crabs. They called their store Crabitat. Denver pretended to work at the store taking care of the crabs. I couldn't imagine a better group of children for my boys to learn and play with.


Denver and classmates spot crabs and periwinkle snails in the marsh.

Their parents were just as approachable and friendly. John and I enjoyed everyone. We all liked and appreciated the enthusiastic and well organized staff. The camp leader was especially fun loving and playful, and he set the tone for the rest of the group.

I was initially a bit put off by all the rules: no running in certain areas; get in line when the bell rings; no tea for children; you must wear certain kinds of shoes; no getting up from the meal table until you are told, etc. I know I've been spoiled by my profession. As a judge, I'm used to making the rules and taking everyone else's thoughts as suggestions. It was a return to childhood to have so many rules to follow. It helped me begin rethinking the necessity of many rules I impose on my boys.

To my delight, one of my favorite people at the camp was the maintenance man named Jim. Always smiling, he seemed to be the man behind the scenes who keeps the place running. One day he wore a T-shirt that said: My Answer is YES.

My boys loved that T-shirt. When I suggested "My Answer is YES" should be my new motto, they cheered! When I complimented Jim on the shirt, he said he tries to live in that spirit. I quietly put Jim into my hero category.

This beautiful experience could not have happened without homeschooling.


Spencer and Denver enjoy the antics of a friendly surfer dude!
This time last year, I was constantly questioning our homeschooling decision. I was more than a little concerned that the boys "weren't learning enough." Now I have no such thoughts. In fact, I only wish we could have begun sooner. I see the boys not just having more learning opportunities to choose from now; I also see that our family relationships are closer and stronger than ever before.

We are blessed beyond measure.











No comments:

Post a Comment