Search This Blog

Monday, September 16, 2013

What "Nothing" Looks Like


Denver creates artwork to welcome the Fall season.

It feels like we have done "nothing" today. But have we?

I awoke around 6am, made coffee, took care of our pets, prepared breakfast, and encouraged everyone to begin their academic work. John called from Lexington, Kentucky on his way to Houston, Texas. We don't know when he'll be home. Maybe late tonight or maybe a day or two from now.

I opened my dusty guitar case, but was unsuccessful in getting the guitar tuned. I did manage to tune my violin-- which I have not played in a year. I began playing a little. The nice thing about taking a year off from violin practice is that the music in my lesson books is now a lot more challenging!

Later in the morning, Spencer and Denver went with me to get my guitar restrung. We also took my college ring to the jewelers to get it resized, went by the dry cleaners to pick up John's shirts, and went by the courthouse to pick up my robe. While at the courthouse, we picked up some big, empty boxes for Spencer and Denver to play with. I went home, fixed everyone lunch, played violin for the boys as they ate (this could explain why they finished so quickly!). The boys each took a turn on the violin before and after lunch. This wasn't a lesson, just silly fun.

I taught history, looked up historical pictures on the internet for the boys, helped with an art project, taught math, Latin, grammar, and reading, and thought about exercising (but didn't).

Denver woke around 7am. After greeting me with hugs, he played on the Wii until breakfast. He read three books to me. He and his brother played with blue blocks after his math class-- building Batman's Wayne Manor and several other things. Denver enjoyed doing his grammar, quickly did his Latin, listened during history, and loved doing two art projects.

After breakfast, Spencer played outside and then we all took a short stroll up and down the street. The weather was perfect and inviting. Spencer plays constantly with a new sand art desk toy I bought for them. He loves turning the frame with the sand and liquid and watching new formations.

Spencer read some Hobbit today, and finally managed to complete his math-- though it took several hours. He stopped constantly to play with his little brother, do history work, do an art project, see pictures of the ancient Ajanta Caves from India, practice karate, eat snacks, go to the bathroom, and stare out the window. He seems happy today, just not a fan of math; and he has a mind too busy and filled with ideas to be able to focus on unpleasant tasks.

John Robert would have liked to sleep late. Instead, he got up when I asked him and took a walk with me after breakfast. He began doing the laundry. He tackled his biology assignment and went to Mimi's after lunch to work on math. Occasionally, he curls up on the couch when he thinks I won't "catch" him reading and relaxing. He doesn't seem to realize that I don't mind if he goes slowly. I love that he reads almost constantly and he loves to sit and think.

I have an hour before I leave for work. The day has felt lazy and slow, but I see that it has been full. Spencer sits 20 feet away as he does his writing. Every few seconds (it seems), he asks how to spell a word. Although it makes it difficult for me to write, I love that Spencer cares about spelling, and is undoubtedly becoming a better writer and speller this year.

In a few minutes, I'll leave for court. The boys will go to Mimi's house, then John Robert will go to swimming while Spencer goes to karate.

This evening, we'll curl up in front of a movie maybe, and we'll think what a boring day we've had. But this record tells otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment