Search This Blog

Sunday, September 1, 2013

The Denver Delight


The Silly Guys at the pool.
 He sings loudly as I write this blog entry. He invents the lyrics and the tune as he sings. My guy Denver. This morning he sits at the homeschool table playing minecraft on the laptop computer and singing. Every few minutes, he asks me how to spell a word or demands that I come "LOOK!" at some new development.

I adore this child. He is so different than I am. He is a boy who usually knows what he wants and doesn't worry about hurting feelings in order to get it. Last night as we were cuddling and watching Smurfs, Denver said that when he grew up, he was going to have a hot tub. "Oh, that will be great," I said. "You'll be living with me, so I'll get to enjoy it, too."

"No," Denver said firmly. "I've changed my mind about that. I'm going to have my own house and the hot tub will be there."

Yesterday, I invited Denver's buddy, Alex, over to play for the afternoon. They went swimming. They played in the costume closet. They played minecraft, ate snacks, and pestered John Robert. In short, they had a ball.

The most interesting part for me is watching how hard Denver tries to accomodate Alex. If Alex wants to make 1,000 rules about a simple game, Denver agrees to them. If Alex doesn't want to play a game that Denver wants to play, Denver sets it aside and plays something else.

The only thing Denver refuses to do is compete against Alex. When Alex wanted to race against Denver to retrieve dive toys from the bottom of the pool, Denver refused. "We're on the same team," he insisted. So they raced the clock to see how quickly they could retrieve everything. Then they did silly jumps off the diving board and had me take pictures so they could see what they looked like. Big fun.
Denver prepares for a super spectacular jump!







No comments:

Post a Comment