Search This Blog

Friday, December 28, 2012

Early Morning Musings


John and I enjoy a marvelous meal at Chez Pierre's in the Bahamas.
The house is cold, and I am bundled under a Christmas blanket far from the Bahamas, wearing my sweatshirt, yoga pants, and wool socks.  The boys sleep soundly near the fireplace and Christmas tree; they are spread all over the living room floor like holiday wrapping paper.  It is easy to be peaceful in this moment.  My husband is at the gym.  Our german shepard is curled near my feet.  Work is two hours away, and I'm on my first cup of coffee. 

Unlike my mother, I am not sorry to see Christmas pass.  It is a joy to be sure, but I love even more the peaceful sense of abundance it leaves in its wake, as well as having permission to get things cleaned up, packed up, and get back to our wonderful regular routine.   

My children are growing up before my eyes.  John and I will soon have been married for 16 years.  However, we've known each other for nearly 28 years!  By the time we reach our 20th wedding anniversary, our children will be 16, 13, and ten.  The years fly by so quickly-- I feel the need to make as few mistakes as possible, to be as loving and kind as possible.  Soon it will be too late to parent differently; too late to live differently.  I need to be the best mother I can be; the best person I can be now

A wise parent and philosopher once wrote that the secret of parenting is "when your children have brought you to the very end of your rope; you must somehow find more rope." 

If I want to parent wisely (and not just parent, but LIVE wisely), I can't use my frustration as an excuse to use unkind words or do unkind acts.  Instead, I must take a deep breath, close my eyes, and find the most peaceful choice in the moment.  Hint: The most peaceful choice is not the one sitting on top!  This extends to my work as a judge and teacher, my interactions with all other people, perhaps even to the way I treat myself. 

It is a beautiful, cold Friday morning.  Plans for the day stretch out in front of me.  God knows the interactions with other people that are aligned there as well.  May I approach each moment with kindness, patience, and joy.  And I wish the same for you.   

1 comment:

  1. Your message is as warm and cozy as the picture you painted. Wisdom wrapped in love.

    ReplyDelete