Search This Blog

Monday, December 31, 2012

The Burning Bowl Ceremony

The Burning Bowl Ceremony was held at Unity Church yesterday.  I missed it.  One of my sons wasn't feeling well.  I also thought the ceremony was on New Year's Eve and so I missed the whole thing.  That turned out to be okay.  

The Burning Bowl
 My sons and I held our own Burning Bowl Ceremony on this New Year's Eve.  I polished a 25 year old handmade blue bowl that just happened to have been created in Providence.  I placed a favorite candle in the center and lit it.  I gathered thin strips of paper and a pen. 

We began.  I wrote down two things I most needed to release from my life-- Anger and Conditional Love.  The boys had no questions about the first one; but they wanted to know what I meant by conditional love.  I said that no matter what is happening, no matter what we are doing or feeling, I want them to know and feel that my love for them is unconditional.  They should never have to worry that my love depends upon certain behavior.

Denver (my five year old) is the child who most challenges my patience.  Not surprisingly, he quickly picked up Conditional Love.  "I'll put this one in," he announced.  Lighting it ablaze, he placed it in the bowl and we watched the words flame, blacken, and curl into bits of ash.  It was very satisfying.  I said a prayer and released Anger into the flames.  I no longer need it to tear at the fabric of our family's love.

Much to my surprise, it was Spencer who most enjoyed the ceremony.  He began with Anger and Sadness, but didn't stop there.  He set fire to Revenge and Jealousy, too.  I didn't ask any questions, but simply assisted him in spelling the words.  We said a prayer that our intentions for releasing these thoughts and feelings be assisted by God.  We laughed when his Anger didn't want to burn.  Again and again we had to dip it in the flames to dissolve it into ash.

Now that we've released a few things that no longer serve us, tomorrow we'll be setting our intentions to bring in more of what we want in our lives.  We'll write these words on smooth stones and keep them near us in the coming year.

"May All Beings Be Well.
May All Beings Be Happy.
May All Beings Know Peace."  You, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment