Search This Blog

Friday, January 25, 2013

A Peek at my Big Fantasy

Lately, I've been having fantasies.  I am sweating, my heart is pounding.  I am hot, dirty, and in a hurry.  I am running a marathon trail race.  What did you think I was dreaming about?

When I was 24, I took up running as a way to lose weight.  Ten years, three marathons, and one ultra marathon later, I was sidelined by continual injuries.  Ten years have passed in which I rarely ran.  I mostly took brisk walks, went on hikes, and did yoga. 

At age 44, my body is now telling me it is ready to get back in the race.  Yesterday, I ran nine miles on hilly, rocky, root woven trails.  I LOVED it.  I am not very sore today.  Could it be that I am not too old to run?

I recently read about a man who took up running at age 70.  He was recovering from cancer at the time.  Twenty years have passed, and he is still running marathons. 

Why not me?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment