Search This Blog

Saturday, January 12, 2013

What I Mean When I Say We Didn't Do Anything Today . . .

If you called me on the phone right now, I would tell you that we've done nothing today.  I feel happily rested after having spent more than an hour sitting outside enjoying the unseasonably warm weather and enjoying my family.  Here is all we've done today: 

I cleaned the hardwood floors today, prepared three meals for our family, walked the dog for a half hour, did my ballet dvd, and read an entire book about Ancient Rome.  I helped Denver overcome his frustration by walking with him to the lake and finding a piece of bamboo, dragging it back to the house and assisting him in making both a sword and a bean shooter.  Later, Denver helped Spencer make a bean shooter, too.  I looked after Spencer, whose foot hurt from a flying sidekick competition; and John Robert, who has a sore throat. 

I went to the library and checked out books on the Middle Ages for Spencer to devour.  I helped Spencer look up some answers on the computer regarding moats.  I checked out beginning reader books by Mo Willems for Denver, and I read him three after we got home.  Spencer read another three to him later in the afternoon.  Spencer went to Mimi's for Spanish class and to work on his ballista with Paw Paw.  He then ran around outside for most of the afternoon.

John Robert rested most of the day, drank orange juice, ate donuts, applesauce, and two peanut butter sandwiches.  He played on the computer a bit, read some, but hasn't gotten out of his pajamas today.

Denver went with me to the library where we looked up books and played on some rocks.  He read books and listened to his brother and I read to him.  He played with his brothers indoors and outside.  He made things out of bamboo.  He played on the Wii.  He rode his go cart while his daddy followed him on a bicycle.  He took a walk with the family. 

John has mostly been puttering around working on the cars and plotting ways to help our septic system.  

The day has been beautiful.  It feels like I've done nothing at all.  It seems like the boys have "accomplished" nothing.  And yet, when I stop and write it all down, I realize that even the most relaxed day has learning in it.  



No comments:

Post a Comment