Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 23, 2014

I just got SCHOOLED!

Our New Science Kit.
I was so proud of our new science kit.  I couldn't wait to do the experiments with the boys, and I was feeling like a good homeschool mom.  We laughed and had fun as we explored the effects of water surface tension, the strength of the column, and the physics of pendulums.

The most surprising part for me, however, was when I tried to explain potential and kinetic energy to the boys through the use of the provided pendulum.  I was having trouble getting the experiment to work, and Spencer said, "Oh!  The red ball is supposed to strike the green ball and transfer its energy to the green ball causing the red ball to stop but the green ball to continue the pendulum motion."

"Uh . . . Yes."  I looked at him in quiet wonder.  "Where did you learn that?"

"Minecraft," Spencer said simply.  One of his favorite programmers had set up just such an experiment on minecraft and explained the potential and kinetic energy involved.  "Can I go outside and run around for a little while now?"

"Sure," I said.  "You guys take a little break."  So much for my fancy science kit!  
Fun experiments this morning!




















No comments:

Post a Comment