Search This Blog

Saturday, May 31, 2014

Learning without Teaching

The Wonderful World of Minecraft
I have been sitting at the computer for hours researching the Georgia Performance Standards set for each grade level: a long, detailed list of everything the student should know by the end of each grade level.  I like to do this review prior to planning the next school year for the boys.  See www.georgiastandards.org.   

Some of the expectations are tiring and a little silly.  Do we really need to make a rule that all second graders will be able to throw a ball both underhanded and overhanded?  What about the requirement that a second grader know how to run, chase, kick, and dodge a ball?  Won't those things happen naturally if a child is allowed to play with other children and a ball?  Does it have to be taught and tested?  The Georgia Performance Standards says it does.  

Between playing in the yard and going to the pool,
Denver and Spencer love to spend hours in the office
watching and playing minecraft videos.
I was in the midst of writing down five pages of notes about all the things Denver is expected to know by the end of his second grade year when something funny happened.  I was just completing an analysis and summary of the math section (which doesn't introduce multiplication at all) when Denver shouted out with delight, "Eight fives is 40!"

I stopped and looked across the room.  "Yes.  Where did you learn that, buddy?"  
"Oh, I just noticed it on my minecraft game," he replied.  "I was counting out diamonds from my treasure box and I noticed there were five rows with eight diamonds in each; and that's 40."
I smiled and looked back at the Georgia Performance Standards on the computer screen.  "Yep," I said.  "You got it."

I will continue to review the Georgia Standards because it makes me feel better to know the state's expectations.  But it seems to me that the boys are learning all they need to know and more-- even in the summer; even without being taught.


No comments:

Post a Comment