Search This Blog

Saturday, May 10, 2014

The Renaissance Men

The boys and I at the entrance to the Georgia Renaissance Festival.
It was a day promising rain.  We went anyway.  With a car full of snacks, drinks, rain ponchos, and umbrellas, we set off for the Georgia Renaissance Festival.  The boys had never been to a Renaissance Festival, and John and I hadn't been since before we married.  The boys had spent the entire year learning about the Middle Ages, and the festival was a wonderful way to cap off the year's studies.  



It was wonderful--jugglers, acrobats, a jousting tournament-- there was something to see around every turn and most of it made us laugh with delight.  People dressed as medieval villagers, knights, fairies, elves, and all sorts of strange costumes.  

The best part for me was watching our teenager, John Robert, play like a child-- learning to juggle, climbing a rope ladder to try to win a prize, riding in a spinning bucket just to get dizzy.  All of the boys had a great time.    

I had a good time too.  It never did rain; and I got to meet one of my heroes-- Leonardo DaVinci talked with me!

Leonardo DaVinci spoke to us
about one of his favorite paintings.
After the show, he talked to us privately
about his weapon designs for
the Duke of Milan.
 
I cannot imagine why John didn't want to be in this picture!
If you can climb to the top of the ladder and ring
the bell, you win $10.  All the boys tried.
The Number One Rule of Juggling.


All of my boys had to try the free juggling lessons.

The Barely Balanced Act
Spencer and John Robert make their first juggling attempts.
Spencer and Denver learn to play
the Australian instrument, a digiridoo.
Denver and Jibby enjoy the swinging, spinning barrel ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment