Search This Blog

Friday, May 9, 2014

The Mad Scientist

The Mad Scientist
A good portion of this past school year I have spent trying to get Denver interested in school subjects-- physics, history, math, reading, writing, Latin, Spanish, grammar.  Although he undoubtedly did a lot of work and learned a good bit this past year, it was with some relief that we completed our annual testing and called it a year.

NOW he is obsessed with science experiments and having me read to him!

It began with my picking up a wacky little storybook entitled "Night of the Zombie Goldfish" at the Scholastic Book Fair three days ago.  I began reading the book to him as we waited for lunch at a favorite restaurant.  He loved it so much that he didn't want me to stop reading when our meal arrived.  By the time I finished the book (about a boy whose chemistry experiment goes very wrong), Denver wanted to be a scientist like the boy in the book.
That was okay with me.

Tornadoes in a bottle
With my assistance in reading the directions and purchasing a few supplies, Denver has created: tornadoes in a bottle, fake blood (and it is edible . . . Yuck!), a shrunken head (apple), a bendable bone, slime, and glow in the dark slime.  Although he cannot read the science books without assistance, he has been doing all the measuring and mixing.  It is a delight to watch him dance happily around the house with his new creations.  He even created a laboratory corner to display it all.

So this is how our summer vacation begins!

Denver's Laboratory Shelf





No comments:

Post a Comment